Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Success

Today I was having a conversation with a friend about the limitations we put on ourselves without even being aware of our behavior - the mistaken beliefs we still carry around with us despite all the therapy and self-help books. Such as - you can't be successful AND have people like you. You carry that around for awhile (like until you're 46) trying to stay under the radar and keep everyone happy. Then something happens to bring you to the startling realization that you don't really have that much control over what people think. You COULD spend all of your time and energy making sure you're not so successful that you make people uncomfortable or you could just go ahead and live your damn life because no one cares that much anyway!! In fact, you COULD be UNsuccessful, too, by conventional standards and still be happy as a fat old clam. I think that's me - I'm not sure my life would be called "successful" by most. But, you know what? - I do what I love, I have family and friends I love, I'm happy and I have a very rich life. Can I call THAT success and stand in the center of that truth without wavering whenever I run into someone who makes more money than I do, or has won an award or published a book? Could I, for once, stand with my cup overflowing with an embarrassment of riches and NOT say, "Um, her cup looks cooler than mine - I want THAT one."????

No comments:

My own little place to explore my creativity and imagination