Thursday, October 8, 2009

5 Things


You shouldn't have to justify your work
-Judy Chicago


1. This week while watching my local PBS station I happened upon a wonderful documentary entitled No Compromise: Lessons in Feminist Art with Judy Chicago. In 2002 Judy Chicago returned to the classroom as a visiting professor at Indiana University. This film captures her work with the students and the students' artistic process from concept to execution. I loved watching her push the students to their edge demanding that they make their work bold, powerful and personal. Check your local listings - it might be coming to your PBS station.

2. I am taking the Spillit Workshop with the vivacious and talented Carmen Torbus. Carmen is a fantastic teacher - her videos and explanations are fun and easy to follow,Carmen herself is encouraging and enthusiastic and the other participants are creative and supportive. I highly recommend the workshop. We're starting week two today but Carmen is leaving registration open for a bit longer so it's not to late to join us.

3. Found this little writing prompt site, One Word. It's quick and fun and it helped me get a poem started.
4. Diana Damrau is probably the best coloratura soprano in the world right now. This video shows her talking about the roles she sings. It also shows her recording several arias. What's fascinating (at least to me) is that you can see her technical thinking physically manifested. This is the sort of thing we singers do all of the time when we practice but let go of when we perform. For me it was a mini voice lesson because I could tell exactly what she was thinking as she approached certain notes and phrases. Although you may not get the technical subtleties - you will at least be impressed with her impeccable coloratura.

5. I thought THIS was fun,too.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Some day someone will have to explain to me why blogger arbitrarily decides that it will not break between lines. I tried my damnedest to get a line between items 3 & 4 but it won't let me do it. CURSE YOU BLOGGER!

Lawendula said...

Have you tried writing your text in word and then copy and paste?

Judy Chicago- yes, I really like what she had made, this table with all the important women...great work!

Kim said...

Copy & paste feature does not work for me - I'm still researching that problem - I'm apparently not the only person who has experienced it. But, thanks.

My own little place to explore my creativity and imagination