Thursday, July 16, 2009

5 Things

This week I'm highlighting films, films that inspire me and remind me why I do what I do. Here, in no particular order, are 5 of my favs.

1. Immortal Beloved features Gary Oldman in a wonderful performance as Beethoven. This film includes one of my all time favorite scenes depicting the power of music.

2. Babette's Feast is a beautifully done film that won the 1987 Academy Award for best foreign film. It is a story of choices, love, change, gratitude and a sensual, sumptuous feast.

3. The Red Violin, the score is phenomenal and expertly executed, the cinematography is gorgeous and the story of a violin and the people who make music with it shows how passion drives an artist's life.

4. Frida tells the story of the artist, Frida Kahlo. Selma Hyeck gives a powerful performance and director Julie Taymor's work is visually stunning.

5. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is perhaps his most personal work based on his actual dreams. It is a powerful visual treat with some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. Color and light are treated with a painter's eye and it's seems very fitting that Van Gogh is featured in one of the dreams, Crows.

I can see I will have to continue this list because there are many more, but this will do for a start.

No comments:

My own little place to explore my creativity and imagination