Thursday, July 16, 2009

Critics

I know I am running the risk of sounding like "sour grapes" here but I have had it with critics (professional and non) and I vow never to read or listen to one again. I don't understand why we give this such value. It seems that in our culture deconstruction is more revered than creation. That seems backward to me. I have heard the argument that critics are there to lead the art form to its highest level but that's almost never true. Most critics are self serving. They are there to be be clever and bitchy and to gain an audience for their review not the art form they are critiquing. It seems odd that we should need to rely on someone who watches from a safe distance to guide art rather than the people who are passionately in it up to their eyeballs. Frankly, I don't even care if my "art" is good, bad or indifferent. I am compelled to create it and if it touches someone, anyone - even if it's just me then it has served its purpose and it is worthy. I don't need someone else to declare it so for me.

No comments:

My own little place to explore my creativity and imagination